Tender apple chunks tossed in cinnamon, sandwiched between layers of warm coffee cake and topped with cinnamon and walnuts…what could be a better way to welcome the day? This delicious Paleo Apple Coffee Cake is a great way to embrace a grain-free lifestyle while still enjoying a coffee cake that will not only please your family, but also be a great go-to recipe when you need something to bring to brunch. The apples take center stage in this recipe, helping to keep the cake moist. The flavor of the apples and cinnamon makes its way through the coffee cake and gives it a warm, sweet flavor!
I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone. I wanted to try it paleo, so I changed it around…and I loved the results! It’s not hard to make this cake, and you probably have the ingredients on hand already. You’ll only need a cup of flour, a half-and-half mixture of almond and coconut flour. Whisk the flour together with a teaspoon of baking soda, and set it aside. Then, peel and dice three organic apples. Toss the apple cubes with a bit of coconut sugar and some cinnamon, and set those aside as well. To make the batter, just whisk together 2 eggs, some melted coconut oil, and a bit of organic honey. Then, combine this with the flour mixture and stir in some coconut milk. Simple!
I made this coffee cake in a springform pan, because it’s so easy to serve that way. You can use a regular cake pan if you’d rather, though. To assemble the cake, spread half the batter into the bottom of the greased pan. Then add the apples, followed by the rest of the batter. Finish with a layer of walnuts tossed with cinnamon and coconut sugar, and bake the cake. Once it’s cool, just remove the sides of the springform pan and serve! I was worried that it might not be sweet enough, because I reduced the amount of sweetener in the recipe by quite a bit. My kids loved it, though…the apples are sweet enough that not too much more is needed!
- 1/2 cup organic almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup organic honey
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 organic, cage-free eggs
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 3 large organic apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine the diced apples with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar. Stir well to coat.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, honey, and 1/2 cup melted coconut oil. Pour this into the flour mixture, and stir well.
- Add the coconut milk, a little at a time, until you have a thick batter. Layer 1/2 of the batter into the pan, then top with the apples. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the apples.
- Mix together the remaining coconut sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Sprinkle the walnuts and cinnamon sugar over the batter.
- Bake the coffee cake for 45 minutes, checking after 35 minutes.