Changing the way you eat can seem a bit daunting and to many is no simple task. I remember how long my husband and I talked about wanting to eat healthier before we finally took our first steps in the right direction.
Since then we have had many people ask us how we got started on our Paleo lifestyle. Let me tell you – it wasn’t a quick one day deal. It was a step by step process that took quite some time until we finally found ourselves eating the way we had always talked about.
Here are some of the steps we took to help us get started on Paleo
- Clean Out The Kitchen. This is probably the most important step on getting started. Let’s face it – if there is unhealthy foods in your house then they will get eaten. While it can seem a bit daunting throwing out (or donating) staples that have been in your home for ages it can also be empowering. If you are hesitant with this step do it in stages, clear off one shelf of unhealthy foods or only eliminate the grains first. Whatever you need to do to get that unhealthy food out of there, do it.
- Informed Shopping. Anytime someone has asked me how to eat healthier this is my main point of advice I give. Don’t go shopping without a reason. Have meals planned, lists made, and most importantly know what you are buying. Look at ingredient lists – you’d be surprised how many products have extra ingredients (like sugar) that aren’t needed. Be picky about the products you buy and when you can try and avoid the center isles and stick to meats and produce as much as possible.
- Write Down Your Goals. Just saying that you “want to eat healthy” usually isn’t enough. Write down your goals. Set your rules. While you may not be perfect, having a set of goals and knowing what you want to get out of your new lifestyle will help you stay on track or get back on track if you mess up.
- Start Slow. Don’t expect to be a pro Paleo eater in one night. It just wont happen. Try doing things in stages – start with dinners or breakfast and get those down packed for awhile before adding in another meal.
- Learn to Cook. You just can’t eat Paleo without knowing how to cook (unless you have the money finding someone to cook for you!). Experiment. Tweak recipes. Create your own recipes. Learning to cook will help you love cooking which will help keep you on track.
- Stay Organized. This would be the last piece of advice I’d give – if you find a recipe you love, make sure to keep it!
Just know that it is a process not a quick deal. Take your time. Feel out what works for you and what doesn’t. If you still feel like you need some more tips take a look at some of the following articles.