This simple flourless banana cake is as tasty as it is unusual. A cross between cake and baked custard, this dessert is so simple to make that you’ll find yourself making it often. And with just a few healthy ingredients…bananas, coconut oil, honey, eggs and vanilla…you can feel good about indulging in a big slice of banana cake, whether it’s for dessert or (shhhh, we won’t tell!) even for breakfast.
To make the cake, just blend 3 very ripe bananas, 3/4 cup melted coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of organic honey, a bit of vanilla and five eggs in a blender. Blend it until the mixture is very smooth, and then pour it into a greased 9 inch round baking dish. Bake the cake at 275 degrees for about an hour and a half (this is the hardest part, by far…such a long time to wait). The cake will rise and look very fluffy, but it’s going to deflate and become less souffle-like once it comes out of the oven. Test the cake by inserting a knife into the middle, and when it comes out clean raise the heat in the oven up to 350 degrees and bake for another 3-5 minutes to give the cake a nicely browned finish.
Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool. You can serve this warm or chilled, but either way a lovely swirl of whipped coconut cream on top really adds a finishing touch. A sprinkle of blueberries or a few sliced bananas make a wonderful and healthy garnish!
- 3 organic, very ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons organic honey
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon organic real vanilla extract
- 5 organic, cage-free eggs
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking dish (I used a glass dish, which worked well) with coconut oil.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 90 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The cake will rise like a souffle while baking, but will fall when you take it out of the oven.
- After 90 minutes, raise the temperature in the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 3-5 minutes, to brown the cake on top. This is optional and may not be needed if your cake browns before it's done.
- Allow the cake to cool, and then cut to serve. A swirl of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkling of fresh berries or sliced banana is a wonderful addition!