Grain-free Bacon, Egg and Cheese Muffins
Mornings are often busy, which is why the breakfast food industry is such a big business. Most quick breakfast food involves a large amount of grain and sugar, however! Frozen waffles, instant oatmeal, sugary breakfast cereal…it’s hard to find an easy breakfast that’s not loaded with toxic grain, refined sugar, and chemicals. These little grain-free bacon, egg and cheese muffins are easy to carry with you if you’re running late, and can be made in advance to be either eaten cold or reheated during the work week.
There are a lot of great recipes out there for eggs baked in muffin cups, but they don’t reheat well and usually require a plate and fork to eat. These little breakfast treats really are an even cross between eggs and muffin, and have the advantage of storing well. They’re made with coconut flour, which gives them a more muffin-like texture and helps them bake up lighter and less dense than baked eggs or crust-less quiche. They’re made with eggs, a few tablespoons of coconut flour, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, scallions, fresh garlic and a bit of Greek yogurt. Healthy and delicious! You can omit the bacon or add sausage instead, or add some extra chopped vegetables if you’d like…it’s easy to customize your breakfast-on-the-go!
To make the muffins, just break 8 eggs into a blender. Add cheese, yogurt, a clove of garlic, coconut flour and a bit of baking powder or soda. Puree the mixture until it’s smooth, then add some chopped, cooked bacon and diced green onion. Pulse the blender once or twice to mix in the bacon and onion, just enough to combine the bacon and onion into the batter without chopping it up. Melt 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil in each cup of a muffin tin, and then pour about 1/3 cup of batter into each cup. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top, and bake for 20 minutes. Easy! Let them cool a bit and then serve, storing extras in the fridge or freezer for a quick, healthy breakfast next time you find your morning a little hectic. Easy, and so good!
- 8 organic, cage free eggs
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons organic almond or coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (or 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons bacon, cooked and diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons organic full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drop 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil into each cup of a muffin tin. Put it in the oven as it's heating, to melt the oil.
- In a blender, combine the eggs, yogurt, 1 cup of grated cheese, the coconut flour, garlic clove and the baking powder or soda and vinegar. Puree the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the cooked, chopped bacon and chopped scallions. Pulse once or twice to stir (not enough to blend up the bacon and onion).
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup, right on top of the melted coconut oil.
- Sprinkle the extra cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 10 minutes, then turn the pan and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool, then serve. Freeze leftover muffins or keep them in the fridge for a healthy breakfast on the go!